Thursday, September 25, 2014

September's Tutorial- My top 10 tips this month

This Month I thought I would share some tips from the productions of this months series of Projects using the September Main Kit from My Creative Scrapbook!

 So lets jump right in.....

#1.  Handwrite a title, and cut it out.


I just used a Calligraphy pen with the flat chisel tip and then fussy cut it out leaving a small white space between.  Not difficult, but it takes a little time.  Add some sticker words and some chip alphas and you have an interesting title!


#2. Place your stickers and alphas on plastic


 I just used an empty cellophane bag.  Just hold it over your Project so you can find the right placement without pulling off individual letters a million times trying to find where it looks best!!! (and risk tearing your Paper)



#3. Make your own chevrons


I just cut a rectangle of patterned paper (with a small print)  Cut a snip in the centre of the bottom, and  cut from the corners into the centre snip to cut out two small triangles.  (Keep these they are great for arrows pointing to a focal point on your project)  Now cut an angle into that same centre point from the outside in, about 1/2 inch wide, making your first chevron piece.  Keep your eye on cutting evenly.  do the next and the next in the same manner.  Snip the top triangles off the top creating the last chevron....
You can mark the back if you like, but I like doing these fast, so I just eyeball it!


#4.  Layer die cuts


I am always looking for ways to layer die cuts.  The one above was easy.  It needed a backing to slide easily into my Project life sleeve.  But die cuts can looks so very sweet layered on top of each other.




#5.  Add stencilling in the background


This is a really simple way to add depth.  I chose a coordinating colour (green on green)  Just to add a slight pattern, and I layered several stencils.  Use a foam blending tool for a smooth and even finish.  


#6. Use Layered String


Pull off a length of string to create a frame for your focal point. Its really effective, creating a lovely soft framed look, rather than bold framing a solid frame would give.  Play with coloured strings and cottons too.

#7.  Overlap heavy chipboard alphas


Some alphas have large serifs, or long tails or tops which prevent them from sitting really close together.  Sometimes you can layer a letter on top of another to keep the kerning even (the spacing between the letters) Like the letter 'g' above.  He is actually sitting on top of the 'u' and the 'h'.  This can be difficult to secure, so I just ran it through my sewing machine.  It works perfectly in my paper machine (one reserved for crafting) Just go slowly, but you shouldn't have trouble.

#8. Try some variations of Journalling Styles


Draw wonky lines and write directly on them for an imperfect uneven style.  It still looks neat surprisingly, and can look better than trying for a perfectly aligned journalling block, and not fitting words in well.



Strip Journalling- Cut thin strips of card stock, and write on them.  Glue them on in the formation you want.
OR cut the strips into individual words and make a strip of word journalling either in a long line, around a photo or the entire page, or even just one on top of the other down the page.


Use a bullet point style.  No need to think about flowing journalling, or the perfect vocab and grammar!

#9.  Use two photos the same


This can look really interesting, and add to the design without taking away from the focal photo.  
(the other photo IS the focal photo!!!)

I played with this several times this month.  I created a collage of 4 photos on a 6x4 in Fuzel on my i-phone and then printed it out twice, so I had several cute pictures in multiples.

(App- Fuzel- I believe its free but you can buy add ons with in the app.  My collage used 4 photos and I just made the ratio 2:3 for printing as a horizontal 6x4 Print)

You can even use more than two, to create a 'stacked' feel.  Love this look!

#10.  Add Paint splatters

I use paint and ink splatters all the time.  Mostly because I love it, but when you design for a paint Company, you have loads of paint you need to use!!!!  I love the look the irregular and uneven splashes give on a page or project.  Try different colours, but black and white looks great too!  You can use mists if you have those (just take the lid off and flick the tube inside over your page)  Or mix a watery mix of water colour on an acrylic block  (or a palette) and flick that over your page.  


You can even use water based markers or distress inks.  Colour or press the colour on an acrylic block and spritz with water until it beads.  Soak your paintbrush in it and flick it over your page.

REMEMBER if you are doing this last, cover your photos with a scrap piece of paper.


For my drips and splashes I love using my copperplate dip nib calligraphy pen in India ink.  It creates really nice splatters, that are a little more 'controlled'.

So that's it from me today....  
Hope that list gave you some ideas for your next project!

Thanks for stopping in today!


No comments:

Post a Comment